Thonga Beach Lodge
This intimate, luxury lodge nestles on the pristine Northern coast, within the Isimangaliso World Heritage Park. The clear, warm waters offer superb snorkelling and unspoilt off-shore scuba diving whilst other activities include guided forest walks, kayaking and seasonal turtle tracking.
Accommodation Information select a tab
Facilities & Services
- Lounge with comfortable couches and cosy fireplace offering spectacular views.
- Swimming Pool
- Spa: The lodge also boasts a Rejuvination Centre where guests can revitalise body, mind and soul (treatments for a charge).
- Guided Tours: The lodge offers a variety of activities and services (some at a charge) including guided snorkelling trips, forest walks, birdwatching, fishing, sundowner trips, cultural tours and kayaking on Lake Sibaya with the chance of seeing hippo and crocodile en-route! From November to February nocturnal walks and drives can be taken along the beach to see the Giant Leatherback and Loggerhead turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs.
- Scuba Diving: There is also a Diving and Open Ocean Experience available for qualified, older guests (age 12 plus).
Bars & Restaurants
- Restaurant: Large, thatched rodavel oeping on to an expansive wooden deck where guests can enjoy sumptous meals. Most are served al fresco.
- Beach dining: Guests can also head for the beach and dine by candlelight on the shores of the Indian Ocean.
- Bar with unique ‘ocean’ counter, perfect for a delicious cocktail!
The Lodge offers an ideal location for families wanting a beach holiday in a quiet, wilderness setting. All ages are catered for and the range of activities will keep them busy and enthralled!
Looking after younger guests
There is a DVD player in upstairs mezzanine area as well as cricket bats, volleyball nets and Frisbees. A kiddies toy box and some boogie boards are available in the marine centre for children’s use.
Babysitting & Supervised activities
Babysitting can be arranged for a charge, offered by Lodge staff, with advance notice.
Additional supervised fun is also offered for approx 1 hour per day. This includes:
- Learn to make bead bracelets & ankle bracelets – (Bead packs & lessons available at the curio for R25)
- Corrugated cardboard gift boxes.
- Make and model with play dough.
- Nature walks.
- Snorkelling lessons.
- Shell collecting.
- Colouring-in competitions.
- Make your own dinner pizzas.
- Sand castle competitions.
- Beach clean-up competitions.
- Make bread dough animals.
- Have fun learning about marine animals.
Children under 12 served at 18H00 each day and the menu can be dicussed with staff locally.
All rooms are circular built, have air conditioning, overhead fans, hairdryers, minibars, telephones.
There are 12 rooms at the lodge, 7 are standard forest views and 5 with seaview. Two of the seaview rooms (approx 50 square metres) have double beds and are ideal for Honeymooners.
- Please note no cots or interleading rooms are available.
- Up to 1 child can share with 2 parents
The rates start from £210 per adult sharing per night in a Standard Room fully inclusive of accommodation, meals, teas & coffees, use of snorkelling equipment, guided walks, kayaking and sundowners at Lake Sibaya but excluding Park entrance fees (Valid 01/05/12 – 31/08/12).
- Children aged 3 years and younger complimentary.
- Children under 12 sharing pays 50% of the adult rate.
- Children 12 + sharing with parents pays 75% of the adult rate.
Pay 6 Stay 7:
Stay at any Isibindi Africa lodge, or combination of lodges, for a minimum of 6 nights and get the 7th night free. The free night must be taken at the lodge where you stay the longest.
Thonga Beach Lodge is 68% owned by the local Mabibi community which it benefits directly and 90% of staff who work at the lodge come from this community.